Trees to Avoid in North Texas:
Below are some trees we aren't too fond of planting. Avoid these types if at all possible.
- Mulberrry: Has bad roots and messy foliage.
- Mimosa: Plagued by disease in the DFW area sadly.
- Sycamore: has diseases, messy foliage and damaging roots.
- Hackberry: a short-lived tree that has ugly foliage and brittle wood.
- Poplar: short lived like the Hackberry with insect problems.
- American Elm: Is grand when healthy but can fall victim to the usual elm problems.
- Cottonwood tree: Brittle, messy and can have damaging roots.
- Pin Oak: chlorosis in alkaline soils and cross pollination with red oaks.
We recommend picking other types of trees to plant, from personal experience! The magnolia in particular is a wonderful tree that handles the Texas climate well.