Tree planting tips from the experts at Justin Time Tree Trimming of Ft. Worth
Planting trees: it is best to plant the shade tree first if phasing the project and then plant the ornamental trees later. Each tree hole should be at least 2 feet larger in diameter than its root ball. After the hole is dug, its a good idea to fill the hole with water to see how well the soil drains, depending on the type of tree. If the water stays in the hole for more than 2 days, you may have a drainage issue. Gravel might be inserted to help with the problem.
Sweetgum tree planting tip: Do not plant in rock; do not plant on steep slopes and give them plenty of water. They can be kept alive and semi healthy in rock, but a regular application of sulphur and chelated iron is needed in some cases. The sweetgum tree can be self pruning as well.
Mulberry tree spotlight and info:
- Habit: Fast-growing junk tree. Large varying shaped leaves. Very shallow and destructive root system. Smooth bark.
- Culture: Grows anywhere - requires a ton of water.
- Uses: None of redeeming value.
- Problems: Destructive roots, webworms.
- Notes: This is one of the most overplanted trees in Texas! Fruiting can be messy and this tree requires a ton of water.